How Do I Register As A Student?
To enrol in the MICPA-CAANZ Programme, you will first need to register as a student with the Institute.
Assessment of Entry Qualification
Your academic qualifications will be assessed at the point of registration to determine the number of exemptions available.
Prospective students may want to first check with MICPA’s Education department for the following:
- Accreditation of academic qualifications by MICPA and CAANZ
- Exemptions based on academic qualifications.
You may contact the Student Affairs Department for further information.
Graduates with Accounting Background
The entry requirements into the MICPA-CAANZ Programme are as follows:
Diploma in Accounting
Graduates of accredited Diploma in Accounting will be required to undertake both the Professional Stage and Advanced Stage Examinations of the MICPA-CAANZ Programme.
Bachelor of Accounting Degree
Graduates of accredited Bachelor of Accounting degree may be eligible for exemption from the Professional Stage Examination and will be required to undertake the Advanced Stage Examination of the MICPA-CAANZ Programme.
Special Provision for Accounting Degree Undergraduates
The Institute supports the professional development of undergraduates pursuing an accredited degree in accounting and allows these undergraduates to commence on the MICPA-CAANZ Programme if they fulfil the following criteria:
- Completed 3 years of full-time study and is in the final year of a 4-year degree programme;
- Having earned at least 90 credit hours of the total course curriculum of which at least 24 credit hours are in accounting and related subjects and another 24 credit hours in business related subjects.
Undergraduates can undertake the FIN, Financial Accounting & Reporting and TAX, Taxation modules in the final year of their accounting degree.
A sponsorship opportunity exists for these undergraduates under the MICPA Students Sponsorship Programme (SSP). Find out more here.
Registering as a MICPA-CAANZ Student
Apart from completing the MICPA-CAANZ Programme, students must obtain at least 3 years of relevant practical experience before applying for membership. The practical experience must be accumulated under employment with an approved training employer.
There are two streams of training leading to membership of the Institute:
A Stream I student must enter into a 3-year training contract with a principal who is a member of MICPA or a member of member bodies of the Global Accounting Alliance in practice in Malaysia. Under the training contract,
- student’s registration fee and annual fees are paid by the principal
- the principal shall allow the student reasonable study leave
- student is allowed to access to resources such as a technical library, the internet, professional journals etc.
If a student resigns from the principal’s firm before completing his training contract, his registration as a student of the Institute will be deemed as terminated on that date unless a transfer of principal or stream has been executed.
A Stream II student must work with an Approved Training Organisation of the Institute. The student is not required to enter into a training contract but must provide evidence in such form as may be prescribed by the Council that he has obtained the 3-year approved practical experience.
- monitors and supervises student’s work experience by a member of recognised accountancy bodies
- provides reasonable days of study leave to students
- allows students to access to resources such as a technical library, the internet, professional journals etc.
Special Stream II
Accounting degree undergraduates who fulfil the candidate registration criteria register as Special Stream II candidates.
Applicants must fulfill the following pre-requisites for registration as a student under Special Stream II:
- having completed 3 years of full-time study and is at the final year of a 4-year Bachelor of Accountancy degree programme accredited by MICPA or CAANZ;
- having earned at least 90 credit hours of the total course curriculum of which at least 24 credit hours are in accounting and related subjects and another 24 credit hours in business related subjects.
Special Stream II students are required to transfer to either Stream I or II upon completion of the degree programmes within a year from the date the results for the final examination of the Bachelor of Accounting degree are released.
Please also complete the Form CPA 3A if you are applying for Professional Stage’s module exemption.
Transfer of Stream
The student must inform the Institute promptly of any transfer of training supervisor or Approved Training Employer (ATE).
Please contact the Institute’s Student Affairs Department for information on registration as a student and transfer in streams of training.